The automotive industry is believed to be an industry wherein consumers’ feedback regarding the quality of auto products and services is key in the sales process. High-quality and responsive offerings allow industry players to achieve profits and continued growth.
Yet to achieve production efficiency and maintain favorable clientele feedback, several aspects of a business’ processes would need optimization. From policies to manufacturing lines, it’s recommended that every automotive company make quality assurance an integral component of business management through smart operating decisions and practices.
Quality management encompasses every aspect of doing business – covering internal departments, partner manufacturers, and the like. It generally includes routine quality checks to ensure that every working cog meets all safety standards, prototype specifications, and the like before rolling out a given product or service.
Continue reading to learn more on how to carry out effective quality management and control.
Principles and Metrics of Quality Management In the Automotive Industry
Quality checks in the automotive industry occur in three principles and metrics. They’re:
- Product quality: Vehicular quality is at the top of all other quality checks. According to this great post, everything needs an assessment — from latches to other parts. The goal is to ensure product optimization and safety.
- Ownership quality: Ownership refers to the overall valuable experiences of the customer after purchase.
- Manufacturing or production quality: Production quality is the inspection companies carry out on equipment used during car making, including the engineering assembly, design modeling tools, and others.
Importance of Quality Management and Performance In the Automotive Industry
The benefits of quality management and performance include:
- Better products: To achieve quality is to make good products. When automotive players have refined systems that detect errors and mistakes in the engineering of vehicles, they’ll produce outstanding and high-quality items.
- Higher customer satisfaction: The automotive industry desires to satisfy the available market by meeting and exceeding the satisfaction level of all customers. A better product will make buyers cherish them more.
- Lower costs: There’s a strong probability that firms’ costs of production will be reduced when they improve the quality of products. Improved quality lowers costs.
Quality Management Tips For the Automotive Industry
There are things to know before, during, and after automotive companies carry out quality management. Some proven tips are:
1. Create a Culture of Quality
Creating and sustaining a company-wide culture of quality is imperative in promoting quality management. This involves quality control and management processes across all tiers: from the production engineers to marketing teams, everyone should be expressive and observant about a product’s quality.
This culture should be adopted in key areas such as procurement, production, and scheduling.
2. Work Closely With Partner Suppliers
Suppliers of raw material and mechanical parts for production are vital. They work hand-in-hand with the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Therefore, the OEM must maintain a courteous relationship to ensure quality control and management.
A long association with automotive parts suppliers speaks volumes and determines the quality of automotive products. The OEM working closely with suppliers helps foster a great understanding of the internal processes. That way, companies can develop safety measures for innovative products.
3. Leverage Manufacturing Intelligence
Automotive products are upgraded through the use of manufacturing intelligence. Manufacturing intelligence is the process of preserving and making use of data gathered during production. These data are useful in making new models after a proper understudy of old releases. Advocating for manufacturing intelligence will guarantee quality management and efficiency in industrial operations.
4. Adopt a Technology-Infused Supply Chain
Leveraging technology is the order of the day, and its adoption in the automotive industry will highly impact the supply chain.
The automotive industry has a broad supply chain. The best and most cost-effective method to keep track of this is by implementing the latest technologies that offer convenience and quality control through all data input and manufacturing phases.
Quality is believed to be assured when suppliers and manufacturers use state-of-the-art technologies to communicate off-site and on-site production and distribution status.
5. Demand More Than An Inspection Report
Manufacturers can, through testing and service, demand more than an inspection report. Companies can only achieve quality in production when they get into a deep involvement with the supplier’s operations. Cloud-based quality systems are handy in monitoring suppliers’ operations and procedures. With team collaboration made in real-time, quality management is said to be improved.
Like every other industry, the automotive industry needs quality management to achieve the double benefits of ensuring patrons’ safety and satisfaction. Aside from that, improved quality lowers costs and enhances profits.